We, the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word, Houston, Texas, are a multi-cultural, international Congregation of Catholic women religious. We are consecrated to God as clear signs of the presence and power of this intimate and sacrificial love at work in the world.
Our deepest desire in everything is to promote the fundamental dignity of persons, demonstrating our Incarnational charism.
We invite you to explore our website and learn more.
NEW CONGREGATIONAL LEADERSHIP
Members of the new Leadership Team for the Congregation of the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word, Houston, (pictured from left to right) Sister Mary Patricia Driscoll, General Councilor; Sister Rose Scanlan, General Secretary; Sister Alice Mary Buckley, Assistant Congregational Leader and General Councilor; Sister Christina Murphy, General Councilor; Sister Kevina Keating, Congregational Leader; and Sister Elizabeth Ann Hayes, General Treasurer and General Councilor.
The Congregation of the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word, Houston, Texas, recently elected a new Congregational Leadership Team during their General Chapter which took place at Villa de Matel where the Sisters from the various countries gathered for the event.
The new leaders are: Sister Kevina Keating, Congregational Leader; Sister Alice Mary Buckley, Assistant Congregational Leader and General Councilor; Sister Christina Murphy, General Councilor; Sister Elizabeth Ann Hayes, General Councilor; and Sister Mary Patricia Driscoll, General Councilor.
At the initial General Council meeting, Sister Rose Scanlan was reappointed as General Secretary and Sister Elizabeth Ann Hayes was reappointed to serve as General Treasurer.
Sr. Kevina served most recently as the Superintendent of Schools for the Archdiocese, Sr. Alice as Director of Formation in the U.S., Sr. Christina as CEO of a multi-level long term care facility in Ireland, Sr. Elizabeth Ann as General Treasurer of the CCVI Congregation, and Sr. Mary Patricia as Director of Vocations in the U.S.
The Installation occurred in the Conventual Chapel of the Immaculate Conception on July 12th. The presider and homilist was His Eminence Daniel Cardinal DiNardo, D.D.; the concelebrants were Archbishop Emeritus, Most Rev. Joseph A. Fiorenza, D.D.; Most Rev. George A. Sheltz; and some Priests of the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston and elsewhere. CCVI Sisters, religious of other congregations, and numerous guests and friends attended.
The Congregation of the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word was founded in Galveston, Texas, in 1866 by Bishop Claude Marie Dubuis, second bishop of Texas. At that time the diocese encompassed the whole state of Texas with its See in Galveston. (Today there are 15 dioceses in Texas!) The first three Sisters came from Lyons, France to establish the Congregation. In 1926, the Motherhouse moved to the newly built Villa de Matel Convent in Houston where it still is today. The Sisters serve in the ministries of education, health care, social concerns, and spirituality in five countries: El Salvador, Guatemala, Ireland, Kenya, and the United States of America.